Generation Connect Gender Champions for Young Women in Developing Countries is inviting credible applicants who are willing to partake in its ongoing 2022 Scholarship programme at ITU
International Telecommunication Union was founded in the year 17 May 1865 as a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for all matters related to information and communication technologies.
International Telecommunication Union helps to connect telegraphic networks between countries, with its mandate consistently broadening with the advent of new communications technologies.
Benefits of ITU Generation Connect Gender Champions
- Successful applicants will be expected to travel to the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit, to be held in Kigali, Rwanda from June 2-4, 2022. The cost of travel and accommodation will be covered by ITU.
- Before the Summit, the Champions will be expected to facilitate an online consultation on youth, gender, and technology. The results of this consultation will inform the development and hosting of a session for other young delegates and global policymakers at the Summit.
- After the Summit, there will be a second, action-oriented consultation process to co-create plans to empower young women and girls to meaningfully engage with ICTs and STEM. Thus, the Gender Champions will contribute to a shared goal of gender equality.
- Note that the expected commitment for these activities will be approximately 5-10 hours per week.
Requirements for ITU Generation Connect Gender Champions Qualification
- Open to young women aged 18 to 24, from developing countries 
- Must be willing and able to attend the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit in Kigali, Rwanda from 2-4 June, 2022.
- Must have intermediate to strong English fluency
- Must fill in all mandatory fields of the application form before the end date
- How Will Applications be Evaluated?
- The applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of five members, including ITU staff. The Committee will evaluate each application based on the following criteria:
- 30% for Experience: To what degree has the submission demonstrated meaningful experience and engagement in STEM and ICT-related social causes?
- 25% for Motivation: To what extent has the submission demonstrated a clear motivation to serve under-represented groups?
- 25% for Communication: To what extend does the submission pitch engaging and meaningful ideas?
- 20% Creativity: To what extent does the submission leverage creative mediums and/or approaches to bridging the gender digital divide?
How to Apply
- Download the terms and conditions of the competition here.
- ITU will process any personal information you submit for the sole purpose of determining your eligibility. Such information will not be shared with third parties and will be promptly deleted once the purpose of its processing is fulfilled.
- Please also review the COVID requirements for travel to and from Rwanda.
Direct any questions to [email protected]
For more details, visit ITU website.