Asylum Seeker Scholarships 2022 is inviting credible applicants who are willing to partake in its ongoing 2022 Scholarship programme at the University of Sheffield.
The University of Sheffield was founded in the year 1828 by three local institutions: the Sheffield School of Medicine, Firth College, and the Sheffield Technical School.
Benefits of Asylum Seeker Scholarships
The University of Sheffield is offering five fully-funded scholarships for those who have sought refuge in the UK. The scholarships cover the cost of tuition and provide a £9,840 award to support living costs for each year of study
Requirements for Asylum Seeker Scholarships Qualification
To be eligible for the scholarship you must:
- Have been granted humanitarian protection or limited leave to remain in the UK, be a dependant or partner of someone with humanitarian protection or limited leave to remain, or you or your parent/guardian or partner are an asylum seeker and have submitted a claim within the UK for refugee status and have not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application.
- Have applied for asylum on arrival in the UK, and before you have applied for a place at university.
- Be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance or local authority grants. The exception to this is postgraduate taught students who have refugee status, who are welcome to apply.
- Currently attend a school, college or community/voluntary group that will provide a reference in support of your application.
- Hold an offer from the University of Sheffield to study an undergraduate or postgraduate taught course starting in September 2022.
- Be studying at degree level in the UK for the first time (applicable to undergraduate students only)*.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to University of Sheffield on finance.ssid.shef.ac.uk to apply
1. Complete the application form below
The deadline to submit an application is 1pm Monday 4 July 2022.
2. Provide a supporting statement from your referee from the school, college or community/volunteering group you currently attend.
You can attach this to your application form or submit by email at a later date by email ahead of the application deadline (our contact details are at the bottom of this page).
3. Send us all the documentation you have received from the Home Office in relation to your asylum claim and your referee’s statement.
These can be attached to your application or emailed to us (our contact details can be found at the bottom of the page).
The deadline to receive complete applications is 1 pm Monday 4 July 2022.
4. A panel of senior University staff will assess all eligible applications.
This is a competitive process and applications will be judged using the selection criteria below.
5. All eligible applicants will be notified of the outcome of their scholarship application before the end of July 2022.
If at any point during the application process or after you start your studies, we are informed that your immigration status has changed, such that you are no longer permitted to study at the University, you will no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
For more details, visit The University of Sheffield website.